Don Poitras wrote:
Steve Comstock wrote:

Jim McAlpine wrote:

I'm trying to convert the following pseudo code to run under COBOL -

DCL TCCSID CHAR(5); /* TERMINAL CCSID */

CALL ISPLINK('VDEFINE','ZTERMCID',TCCSID,'CHAR',

LENGTH(TCCSID));

CALL ISPLINK('VGET ','ZTERMCID','SHARED ');
and I've come up with -

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
01  TCCSID   PIC X(5).
01  LCCSID   PIC S9(8) VALUE 5.
01  VDEFINE  PIC X(8)  VALUE 'VDEFINE '.
01  ZTERMCID PIC X(8)  VALUE 'ZTERMCID'.
01  CHAR     PIC X(4)  VALUE 'CHAR'.
01  VGET     PIC X(8)  VALUE 'VGET    '.
01  SHARED   PIC X(8)  VALUE 'SHARED  '.
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
  CALL 'ISPLINK' USING
       VDEFINE ZTERMCID TCCSID CHAR LCCSID.
  DISPLAY RETURN-CODE UPON SYSOUT.
  CALL 'ISPLINK' USING
       VGET ZTERMCID SHARED.
  DISPLAY RETURN-CODE UPON SYSOUT.
  DISPLAY TCCSID UPON SYSOUT
  GOBACK.

Items have to be in a specified order; for VDEFINE its:

  VDEFINE - the verb; you're OK there
  name-list - you have ZTERMCID, looks OK
  variable - you have TCCSID, 5 byte area where value is to
              be placed; looks OK
  format - you have CHAR; OK
  length - you have LCCSID; this must be a fullword
             binary integer; you have 8 bytes of
             display;
    Try chaning LCCSID to be defined as:

  LCCSID  pic s9(8) binary value 5.

I find that using the ISPF 'MODEL' command is useful when writing ISPF
programs. Make sure you're editting a PDS with a name such as
MYNAME.TEST.COBOL and then issue 'MODEL WORKSTORE' and the 'a' line
command where you would like the working storage fields entered. Then go
down to the procedure division and to a 'MODEL VDEFINE' for a sample and
=NOTE= comments. Same for the other ISPF services. Do 'MODEL' by itself
to bring up a list of all the services.

Excellent suggestion, Don. I second that approach.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques