On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:17:43 +0000, John P Donnelly wrote:

>   How might we delete this little bugger?
>

>SYS1.DFDSS.DEFRAG..........PRD9LF.DUMMY

You restart the DFDSS DEFRAG job that was interrupted, per the z/OS
DFSMSdss Storage Administration Reference manual:

DFSMSdss Temporary Data Set Names

DFSMSdss must allocate temporary data sets to perform certain functions
such as copy and restore. The high-level qualifiers of those data set names
can be protected, and your installation must ensure that these temporary data
sets can be allocated.

...one paragraph skipped...

Special DEFRAG data set

Allocated by DFSMSdss to contain information about the DASD extents that
are being moved. The data set name is in the following format:

SYS1.DFDSS.DEFRAG.xxxxxxxx.volser.DUMMY

where xxxxxxxx represents eight bytes of X'FF', and volser is the volume serial
number of the volume being defragmented. The data set is deleted when the
DEFRAG operation completes successfully. If the DEFRAG operation is
interrupted (for example, when DFSMSdss is cancelled), this data set is left on
the volume, and:
* You must run a new DEFRAG operation.

* You may have to convert an index VTOC (IXFORMAT) volume to nonindexed
(OSFORMAT) before rerunning the DEFRAG operation. Otherwise, the volume
free-space values may be incorrect.

* The hexadecimal qualifier is used to prevent you from deleting this data.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI