On Tue, 22 May 2007 08:25:56 -0300, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>Close. The limits are imposed by the *SAM control blocks, not by the
>DASD. A VBS segment must fit within a block that begins with a BDW,
>and the block must fit within a buffer. The limits for VBS were
>inherited from those for VB.

OK.  So a VBS segment is limited to 32760 characters.  But a VBS record
may consist of multiple segments, so need not be limited to 32760.
It appears to me that inheritance was unnecessary, improper, and done
with little thought by the designers.

BTW, JCL and job step allocation, contrary to the JCL RM, by experiment
tolerate RECFM=VBS,LRECL=32761.  Dynalloc, however, reports it as an
invalid value for LRECL.  Conway's law, again?  I did not test an OPEN.

-- gil