John McKown writes:
>Well, no, the best would be for some really good programmer to take
>their product and use a "cross platform" GUI toolkit.

Really no need.  There are several Linux-compatible 3270 terminal emulation
products.  A very professional-grade one is IBM's: WebSphere Host
On-Demand.  That's exactly what IBM did starting over 10 years ago: use a
cross-platform GUI.  It's now Version 10, and IBM didn't skip any numbers
to get there.  Also works on Mac, Windows, and even UNIX clients.

I think this issue came up before on IBM-MAIN, so there's probably some
more discussion in the searchable archives.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]