that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> Much of this is due to the reliance on null-terminated strings, which
> are not peculiar to C, but are rooted in the UNIX continuum between
> applications programming and systems programming.

i've actually had this discussion with some of the people involved, null
allowed for one byte overhead for arbitrary lengths ... somewhat the y2k
phenomena ... as opposed to the two byte explicit length overhead (for
up to 64k).

x-over post on the subject from today in another fora
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007l.html#11 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran
developer, dies

lots of posts on the subject of exploits/failures related to the
characteristic
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subintegrity.html#overflow

i had been monitoring some of the statistics thru the 90s ... but more
recently there were much fewer ... so i had to do some analysis myself
... looking at some of the exploit databases. part of the problem (that
I complained about) was that many of the descriptions were somewhat
freeform and could be ambiguous ... which i complained about a number of
times. there were some more recent announcements that they would be
attempting to better classify/categorize exploits.

old posts with some attempts at classification/categorization based
on analysis of some of the exploit databases
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#43 security taxonomy and CVE
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004j.html#58 Vintage computers are better than
modern crap !
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005c.html#32 [Lit.] Buffer overruns

and this one mentions an article in early 2005 quoting a NIST
study that came up with similar statistics that I had come up
with nearly a year earlier:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005b.html#43 [Lit.] Buffer overruns

note part of the mentioned efforts was in support of my merged
security taxonomy and glossary ... some notes here:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#glosnote

past posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#65 Non-Standard Mainframe Language?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#67 Non-Standard Mainframe Language?