On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 07:29:25 +0200, Barbara Nitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-snip-
>I beg to differ with regard to the INTIDS and UNKNIDS attribute, though. Given
>that there is no way in hell to define it on a 1.6 system that runs mixed
with a
>1.8 system, it is wrong of console initialization code to 'ignore' an
attribute (and
>in fact use the absolute opposite -N instead of Y) that could not be defined
>before.

This is how CONSOLxx has always worked.  If the console was previously defined
in the sysplex, any values specified in CONSOLxx that do not correspond to the
currently defined values are rejected with RC=3.

This doesn't mean that you can't turn INTIDS on and have it persist.  The way
the CONSOLE control block sharing code works (by building in the assumption on
the 'downlevel' systems that there are attributes that they don't know about but
need to propagate) is that attributes set on the 1.8 system will be 'remembered'
by the downlevel systems, even if the 1.8 system leaves the sysplex.

So, if you want to have INTIDS or UNKNIDS set, you need to take two actions:
1) Put it in the CONSOLxx member.  You can even put it in a member shared with
   1.6/7.  CONSOLE initialization will 'ignore' the new specifications on the
   downlevel systems without causing the console definition to be thrown out.

2) Either manually or via automation use the VARY CN command to 'activate'
   UNKNIDS and INTIDS on the consoles that you want it on.  Obviously, the
   function will only work when the console is activated on a 1.8 system,
but the
   attribute will stay with the console, even after all the 1.8 systems
leave the
   sysplex (with one caveat, if you cold start the sysplex and don't IPL any 1.8
   systems, you will have to re-establish UNKNIDS/INTIDS after 1.8 rejoins).

>If you don't explicitly look out for that, and then take steps to correct the
>console code assumptions during initialization, you will have a rude awakening
>with regard to these two attributes. No 1.8 console will have it. And I don't
>think any installation will go and rename their consoles (UCBs and all)
when they >switch between pre-1.8 and 1.8 systems, just to get these
attributes defined
>for the first time.

I don't believe that your understanding of how the code works is correct.
If you set INTIDS/UNKNIDS, it will 'stick' to the console for the life of
the sysplex, regardless of the presence/absence of a 1.8 system.

>Effectively, the way it works now, you either have to cold-start a complete
>sysplex to get the console attributes, or you have to go to lenghts to get the
>attributes assigned as intended. (And as I said, I wonder what will happen to
>those keywords when I re-IPL my 1.6 system that doesn't know about them.)

Incorrect.  See discussion above.

>Besides, once a 1.8 system is in the plex, the lower level systems don't have
>the cond=m consoles anymore, just as you said. What I am missing here is a
>message that announces that fact. A D C,MSTR just gives 'no consoles meet
>speicifed criteria'. I just hope that we have all definitions in place so
that won't
>cause problems when we rollout 1.8 in mixed sysplexes.

If you want to have consoles with MASTER authority, give them MASTER
authority.  VARY CN(..),AUTH=MASTER.  It would be helpful to update CONSOLxx
as well.  The capability to have more than one console with MASTER authority
has existed since MVS 4.1.

>Thanks for listening.
>regards, Barbara

No problem.