Patrick O'Keefe wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:53:08 -0600, Steve Comstock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

this is because DSNAME is one of the possible
not part of the receive command

Ya know, I'd feel very bad about missing that except so did 3 other
system programmers here. That's about 85 combined years of system programming experience. Admittedly, I make up largest single chunk of that and I have the least TSO experience of the bunch. 1 or 2 of them may have known this in the distant past I
suspect, but had forgotten over the years.

I probably just need more training in these new-fangled utilities like
Receive.  :-)

We can arrange that!

Wel, I was being a bit sarcastic there, but it does bring up an unfortunate point. There are a lot of us that could use a refresher
course covering basic things we never learned or have forgotton
long ago. But we would never be able to justify the cost to management. After all, they're paying us the "big bucks" because
of our experience - because we already know all that stuff.

Now, if you're offering to provide the training for free, ...  :-)

I'm well aware of the dilema. That's why I created "Update" courses:
sure you guys [and gals] know all the old stuff [even though you
may have forgotten some of it], but there are also changes and new
features that you need to know about to be most productive, and you
don't have the time to ferret out all the relevant pieces. But
update courses can bring you up to speed (and several of them also
have built-in reminders about the parts you may have forgotten but
would find very useful now). Consider:

ISPF Update - 2 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/TSO_Clist_REXX_Dialog_Mgr/a634descrpt.htm

Advanced Topics in z/OS JCL - 3 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/JCL_courses/B620descrpt.htm

Assembler Language: Update - 1 day
http://www.trainersfriend.com/Assembler_%20courses/C416descrpt.htm

z/OS Assembler for Applications Programmers - 3 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/Assembler_%20courses/C500descrpt.htm

Enterprise COBOL Update I: Essentials - 2 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/COBOL_Courses/d704descr.htm

Enterprise COBOL Update II: Unicode and XML Support - 1.5 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/COBOL_Courses/d705descr.htm

DB2 Version 8 Differences - 3 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/DB2_and_VSAM_courses/G524descrpt.htm

[along with DB2 Version 7 Differences, etc. Version 9 differences
is in the pipeline]

CICS/TS Differences - 1 or 2 days
http://www.trainersfriend.com/CICS_courses/K108Descrpt.htm

And so on; with, of course, migration courses and other
advanced topics or simply topics that are truly new to
you.

Often management will pay for "update", "advanced" and "differences"
courses, and these can be a good basis for refreshers and catch ups
that you simply haven't had time to get to. In the long run, much
more productive, timely, and cost effective than hunting among
the manuals (or just working the way you always have because you're
not even aware there's a newer, better, or at least alternate way).

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques