Lizette Koehler wrote:
Hi -

Has anyone been asked by their DB2 DBAs (or DB2 Sysprogs) on the MVS Mainframe what it would take to place their Tables into Storage? We are DB2 V8 nfm with z/OS V1.7 on a z9 and z860 systems.

Some of our DB2 folkes have been asking us and we cannot see why they would want to do that since we have physical constraints (ie. not a big enough iron).

If anyone has some ideas we as mvs sysprogs need to be aware should they do this, it would be helpful.

I am thinking ASM/SRM, Swapping rates, Page dataset usage, and possible looking at the coupler as we have data sharing set up. I am not sure how I would extrapolate out how much more memory would be needed, or page datasets, etc.

We really are not performance oriented here and get these kinds of crazy requests. Well maybe not crazy but rather not well thought out.

Elements that are easiy monitored and something I can place into an automation tool would be great.

Also if there are any other considerations that could make this work.

Actually, I've given some thought to this in the past.
The biggest drawback I've decided is this: once your
tables are in memory, they are no longer DB2. That is,
you are not able to use SQL for queries or updates to
tables stored in virtual.

Lizette
(making bad code run faster...)
  [Love it!]

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques