John McKown writes:
>....I would love more than that would be a port of the entire GNU
>tool chain. I know that IBM has done some of this, but I miss some of my
>favorite GNU utilities. As an example, GNU tar is, IMO, significantly
>better than pax (except that it cannot do the on-the-fly code conversion
>- that is nice). gmake smokes IBM's make. And the thought of get the
>autoconfig stuff is heady. GNU diff vs. IBM diff - what a difference!
>GNU grep. And I could go on and on. But I realize that this would take
>time and money. If I had the time and talent and money (and a C compiler
>that would work on z/OS), then I'd take a stab at some of these.

Coincidentally I put some information about a 31-bit z/OS C compiler on The
Mainframe Blog yesterday.  See:

http://mainframe.typepad.com

That could get you going.  Although if you can get a small zNALC LPAR going
IBM's C/C++ compiler is darn close to zero price.

In z/OS 1.9 the following shell commands are improved (to make typical
shell scripts run better): awk, bc, ed, file, mailx, od, sed, tr, uuencode,
and uudecode.  You might already have them, but just in case not autoconf,
diffutils, gmake, and grep are here:

http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/bpxa1ty1.html

The aforementioned C compiler might give you a path to improve any of these
open source tools if you don't happen to like the versions available.
Haven't found GNU tar yet, but that's probably because it would lack the
code conversion feature you mention.  GNU tar source code is, of course,
readily available for download.  Version 1.17 of GNU tar was released just
a few days ago.

Hope that helps.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]