Just to recap what I'm doing. I'm writing a Java application which runs
basically where ever Java can run. My target is for the desktop
environment (Windows, Linux, Mac). Part of the functionality is to do
ftp transfer. This is done by filling in the host, port number, userid,
and password on a panel. All of the fields with the exception of the
password are saved in a file and reloaded when the user reinvokes the
application. I will grant that this, in itself, could be considered poor
security, but that's they way it goes. Since the user may fill out this
panel some time before using the ftp function, I have included a
"Validate" button on the panel. All this does is attempt to connect to
an ftp server on the host, on the given port, using the given userid and
password. I give this oppertunity so that an ftp does not fail later
when the user actually tries to do the ftp function.

What I am actually doing, for learning purposes, is reimplementing IBM's
Softcopy Librarian application in 100% pure Java. IBM, for whatever
reason, has a mixture of Java and Windows programs to implement their
version. I cannot get it to run under Linux. I want it to run under
Linux, so I'm working on doing so. The panel containing the host, port,
userid, and password are part of IBM's design that I am more-or-less
replicating. The only enhancement is that I allow the user to validate
that they did not make a mistake here, rather than waiting until
actually attempting an ftp and having it fail for some reason. The
"validate" feedback is fairly simple of "Validate succeeded", "Validate
Failed. Unknown Host", "Validate Failed. Connection Refused.", or
"Validate failed.". This last is what happens when a person puts in a
bad userid or password. But that is all that I say. I don't regard this,
as one person averred, as a "hacking tool" because a person can do the
same thing from a simple ftp command line. It's not like I'm giving
anybody any information that they couldn't get otherwise using a simple
ftp client.

Thanks for your thoughts. The design is how etched in code. Which is
sometimes harder to get changed than rock! <grin>.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.