Phil,
There are a number of ways.
1 - Add a second base register, for example if R12 is your base
register,
      LR     R11,R12
      AHI    R11,4096
      USING  label,R12,R11

2 - Constantly reload your base register (this is the method used by
many compilers) of course if you do this, then you have to ensure that
you populate all literal references before you modify the base register
and change the using.

3 - Rewrite the code to fully separate code and data, and convert using
all relative branching, so you only need a base register for data, not
for code.  However, some system macros do require base registers for
code.  For more info on this, see Ed Jaffe's excellent SHARE
presentation (session 8160 from Tampa) entitled "Reducing Base Register
Usage, or How to 'Jumpify' Your Code"

Wayne Driscoll
Product Developer
JME Software LLC
NOTE:  All opinions are strictly my own.