On 24 Jul 2007 at 05:05, concerning "Tools for Validating COBOL
Source", Lizette Koehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote to IBM-Main:

> [snip] a programmer stated that the PERFORM THRU
> EXIT was not functioning [snip] I felt it was a missing IF
> END-IF combo.  [snip]

> So, does anyone know of a tool that can go thru COBOL code and provide
> a basic mismatch for do loops or IF END-IFs or PERFORM THRU?

Lizette:  One of the newer items shown in the Cobol compiler listing
('tween the generated line # & source code) is the nesting level of
the statement.  Check the entry for the Perform & End statements for
matching values.  I'd also check to make sure all intervening lines
have nesting levels GE the Perform ie. no pre-mature returns to a
previous level.

ps.  make sure there are no Sections in the mix as it changes the
balance of power.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004