-- snip --

> :>Ed Jaffe asks...
> :>> Out of curiosity, which software products allocate CSA in keys A-
> :>> F?
>
> :>I know of one major vendor's storage management product that right up
> :>until the last time I looked (more than a year ago) ran in key 10
> :>(X'A0') and used a bunch of CSA in key 10. The developers thought it
was
> :>clever. I didn't.
>
> While I don't condone it, I don't see the exposure (unless the standard
zOS
> problem state key mask includes key 10).

A V=R (ADDRSPC=REAL) job step is assigned a key from the 10-15 range.
-- snip --

Could you guys clear up a few things for me.

I've seen (E)CSA key 14 data in dumps.

The fine manual states :-

-- manual extract --
(referring to keys)

8-9       All V=V problem programs

10-15     V=R problem programs (each protected by a unique protection key)

and also -

The system assigns real frames upon request from a pool of available real
frames, thereby associating virtual addresses with real addresses. Frames
are repossessed upon termination of use, when freed by a user, when a user
is swapped-out, or when needed to replenish the available pool. While a
virtual page occupies a real frame, the page is considered pageable unless
specified otherwise as a system page that must be resident in central
storage. The system also allocates virtual equals central (V=R) regions
upon request by those programs that cannot tolerate dynamic relocation.
Such a region is allocated contiguously from a predefined area of central
storage and is non-pageable. Programs in this region do run in dynamic
address translation (DAT) mode, although real and virtual addresses are
equivalent.

-- manual extract --

Does that mean that a Job needs to have ADDRSPC=REAL on the job or step
card in order to allocate storage in the key range 10-15?

Can one assume that any authorised code can use the V=R keys with out
specifiying ADDRSPC=REAL?

The storage is non-pageable - but not fixed! What does this mean (other
than the obvious!).  Namely, what happens when storage is configured
offline. Are these pages allocated in the preferred storage area?

Is it really the case that real and virtual addresses are equivalent for
these storage areas?

Thanks

John