On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 08:11 -0400, Lizette Koehler wrote:

> And the only reason the vendors provide sponsorship is so
> they can get at us.

I make a point of looking up people I like on the Expo floor, and
probably struck up conversations at a dozen booths in Tampa.  These were
all folks who had taken the time to introduce themselves to me earlier
(in cases YEARS earlier), and I wanted to touch base with them and thank
them for their support of SHARE, and catch them up on our business
plans.

"Sponsorship" doesn't give vendors the automatic right to litter my
front lawn with flyers.  It doesn't imply permission to shotgun my inbox
either.  It does give them visibility in an important venue, and it
spreads goodwill.

You do business with *people*.  Never forget that.

> I know how to use a delete key

If I didn't have some (nontrivial) automation to help me filter my
inbox, I'd have to "use a delete key" about 500 times a day.

> or pitch something into the waste basket.

Not the same thing.  I open paper mail on MY schedule; a pile appears on
the corner of my desk in the morning, and I'll scan it when I've got a
couple of minutes.  Nothing urgent there, so I can take my time.

Email is more demanding, and (the way many of us operate) requires close
attention -- if for no other reason than to evaluate an incoming message
to see if it's urgent or not.  It is intrusive, in the same way that a
telephone can be.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.