On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:23:32 -0500, Eric Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Yes, that's certainly good news about "System z" hardware. But I don't
>see very many jobs opening up for *z/OS* Systems Programmers as a
>result of this project.

But it may help reduce job closings for z/OS folks. Linux on z/VM has given
many shops new motivation to stay on the mainframe. With the mainframe
staying, part of the drive to get off z/OS is suddenly gone.
And when the application goes to the mainframe anyway, the decision to host
the database on z/OS for example can be based again on business requirements
rather than emotional issues and job security. In some cases it does make
sense to do DB/2 and parallel sysplex instead of really cool projects for
Linux High Availability. And in some cases it does not.

I have always claimed that doing Linux on the mainframe would be a good
thing for a z/OS person because it helps to increase your knowledge about
the architecture and provides new insights in your job. I also think a z/OS
person involved in running enterprise applications can bring valuable skills
for Linux enterprise applications. A lot of issues are independent of the
platform and must be solved anyway.

Rob