Johnny Luo wrote:
Steve,

I also believe it should be (GL,PM) after I checked my personal notes. I
remember clearly that I wrote a test program to verify that three months
ago. (On z/os 1.7)

Hmmmm. I'd have to see the program.

From "DFSMS Using Data Sets", p. 398:

"When you update a data set in place, you read, process, and write records back to their original positions without destroying the remaining records on the track. The following rules apply:

* You must specify the UPDAT option in the OPEN macro to update the data set. To perform the update, you can use only the READ, WRITE, CHECK, NOTE, and POINT macros or you use only GET and PUTX macros. To use PUTX, code MACRF=(GL,PL) on the DCB macro.

 * You cannot delete any record or change its length.
 * You cannot add new records.
 * The data set must be on a DASD.
 * You must rewrite blocks in the same order in which you read them."

And later, talking about updating PDSE members (p. 478):

"You can update a member of a PDSE using the locate mode of QSAM (DCB specifies MACRF=(GL,PL)) and using the GET and PUTX macros."