I found the problem.  It is with a software product called Performance
Essentials.  It is a VSAM optimizer.  It had an issue when writing the status
record to the PAGE dataset.  The vendor had a fix (PSP30420).  It was applied
and now it works.  I discovered this when I could create a valid PAGE dataset
using ISPF option 3.2.  But all batch jobs failed due to the VSAM optimizer
software taking control (unless the //PSPOFF DD DUMMY card was supplied).