On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:33:19 -0500, Errol Van staden wrote:

>has anyone noticed a trend in IBMs strategy in shifting the focus of the
>mainframe to very large users such as outsourcers etc? I am talking about
>features such as IRD, group capacity limits, and sysplex aggregation pricing
>benefits. Could they be bolstering though outsourcing wing for the future?

I believe it is the simple result of IBM being a market driven corporation.
The
very large users might spend the most money, taken individually.  (Then again,
they might be frugal if taken in appropriately sized strata...)

It isn't as if IBM is ignoring the other customers.  There are plenty of things
in
z/OS 1.8 and 1.9 for all customers.  The z/9-BC is certainly applicable to
small-
to-medium sized companies (and the largest, too).  CICS/TS 3.2 certainly has
interesting & worthwhile things in it for a local insurnace company (or two).

We would all like IBM to be all things to all customers... but what are the
odds
of that working out equally well for all?

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI