On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:56:34 -0700, Rankin, Bob wrote:

>Our production environment is running OS390 V2R4 (9708 PUT). My
management
>wants to purchase a Z9 to replace our aging Multiprise 2003-125 and move
our
>existing OS to run on the Z9. While we know that OS390 V2R4 has not been
>certified to run on the Z9, my management thinks it possible that it might
>work anyway. Personally I don't think this is feasible but IBM has done
>stranger things in the past.
>
>Can anyone out there provide more specific information regarding this topic.
>While I know that there are significant instruction set differences, perhaps
>V2R4 may not encounter them, I don't know.
>
>Has anyone done this?
>
>Does anyone know what will happen if we attempt to do this?

Search the archives for [(Mulder) and (purge)] and you should find this:

 "z890, z990, and z9 machines have a 2-level TLB.  Nothing
 lower than OS/390 2.10 will run reliably on a machine with a 2-level
 TLB because lower releases than 2.10 do not do some of the necessary
 TLB purges.  I have heard some speculation that you might be able to
 get around this by running an older MVS under VM, with the following
 VM trace:

 "#CP TRACE IPTE RUN NOTERM

 "Of course, this would cause some performance degradation, since VM would
 intercepting and simulating every IPTE for this virtual machine.  I don't
 know of anyone who has tried this.  It was just some hall talk with
 a VM developer.

 "There may be other issues that would prevent an older MVS from running
 on a modern machine, such as missing support for a larger storage
 increment size.  The storage increment size might also be avoided under VM if
 the virtual machine does not have too much real storage defined - I think
 VM simulates the increment size but I wouldn't swear to that."

...which leads me to believe that you can expect 'difficulties' (at minimum)
unless you are running your OS/390 2.4 system under z/VM - and maybe even
IF you are running under z/VM.  (It was just hallway talk, after all.)

Jim's post was addressing a jump from a newer-than-your machine to a z/9-BC
and he posted it back in (or around) February.  (Thanks, as always, Jim!)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI