Correct.  I was just using the environment presented and assuming all
LPARs were IPLed.  But if the smaller LPAR is capped I don't think it
will exceed the cap, regardless of what else is going on.

Dave Thorn * Senior Technology Analyst * SunGard Computer Services * 600
Laurel Oak Road, Voorhees, NJ, 08043
Tel 856 566-5412 * Mobile 609 781-0353 * Fax 856 566-3656

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

Relative weight LPAR sizing is subject to the mix of LPARs that are
active at any given point in time.  In your example, if the LPAR whose
weight is 80 is not IPL'd then the LPAR with weight=20 will get 100% of
the processor (1000 MIPS in your numerical example) without changing the
weight numbers.  This is a far cry from the 200 MIP target.  I believe
that the calculation is:

  ((LPAR weight)/SUM(all _active_ LPAR weights))*(CEC capacity)

Again, assuming that initial capping is activated.

Mike Conmackie
Senior Software Developer
Compuware Corporation
1 Campus Martius
Detroit, MI  48226
Tel 313 227-7721
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the
named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it,
or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify
us immediately and then destroy it.