that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> I seem to remember this as TCP/IP version 3.2 with 3.3 having the fixes
> for optimization. Weren't there twin stacks being managed or some such
> thing. I'm not too TCP/IP literate. We had this original version
> implemented because I remember doing a pre/post resource impact analysis
> finding additional CPU, significant in relation to prior usage, in use by
> TCP/IP.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007q.html#45 Are there tasks that don't play by
WLM's rules

as per previous post ... there was the vs/pascal implementation ported
from vm ... with a "diagnose" instruction simulation done in os ... and
then the vtam-based implementation (that started out only being
"correct" if it had lower thruput than lu6.2).

some part of the base code poor thruput (and high processor consumption)
was that (only) a channel-attached "bridge" box was being supported
... rather than a native channel-attached tcp/ip "router" box.

In the LAN "bridge" scenario ... the mainframe host code not only had to
do the ip-header gorp ... but also had to do the lan/mac header overhead
before passing the packet to the channel for processing by the "bridge"
box.

part of the rfc 1044 three orders of magnitude improvement
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

was having a real channel-attach tcp/ip router box ... eliminating the
mainframe host code having to also provide the lan/mac header overhead
processing (needed by a lan/mac "bridge" box ... rather than having a
real channel-attach tcp/ip router box).

part of this possibly was the whole focus on the sna communication
paradigm (the old joke that it wasn't a system, wasn't a network, and
wasn't an architecture) ... where vtam provided the communication
addressing (and didn't have the concept of networking).

in the early days of sna ... my wife had co-authored "AWP39" for
peer-to-peer networking architecture ... which was possibly viewed as
somewhat in competition with sna. part of the issue is that in most of
the industry, networking it peer-to-peer ... it is only when sna had
co-opted the term "networking" to apply to communication ... that it was
necessary to qualify "networking" with "peer-to-peer". this was possibly
also why she got con'ed into going to pok to be in charge of
loosely-coupled architecture. while there she also created "peer-to-peer
shared data" architecture ... which, except for ims hot-standby,
didn't see a lot of uptake until sysplex. misc past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#shareddata

for another archeological trivia ... APPN was originally "AWP164".
misc. past posts mentioning AWP39
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004n.html#38 RS/6000 in Sysplex Environment
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004p.html#31 IBM 3705 and UC.5
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#8 EBCDIC to 6-bit and back