John,

> I am in a bind, can I rename a storage class?  I am hesitant to try
> it out because I  don't have a test system.  If it is possible,
> could there be problems?  I assume that I will need to do the
> translate, validate and activate.

If you have never assigned the storage class, it is no problem. If
you already have datasets with the storage class, I recommend you
leave the existing storage class in place and only assign the new
name going forward. It would be difficult to hunt down every dataset
using the old storage class. See IDCAMS ALTER command if you really
need to eliminate the old storage class name everywhere. I would
still keep it in the SMS configuration just in case you missed
any datasets.
Regards,
John