On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:09:25 -0600, Mike Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Mark Zelden wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you confusing with 9840?  9490=3490 (36 trk); 4490=3480 (18trk).
>>

>Good description, but for the record I think you need to reach back to 4480 to
>get 18 track.

Typo - good catch.   Also,  for the record..  Even though the Sun/STK software
doesn't require a separate esoteric in order to direct mounts to the correct
device type, other system software may require it.  For example, DFSMShsm
does not like when you mix device types in the same esoteric and define that
esoteric to HSM for something like migration or for ABARS.  I remember a
problem during one of our DR drills in the past when we had a mixture of
9840A and 9840B that caused a problem.  While both can read / write the
same physical media, 9840B is faster and is a different CUTYPE.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]