Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> Ummm.  Imagine the effect on a "dusty JCL deck" which said,
> "DD  SPACE=(CYL,100)".  But perhaps not.  ISTM that SMS or DYNALLOC
> (or maybe even ISPF) sometimes adjusts my requested SPACE to
> account for the difference between 3380 and 3390.

I believe there was a panel in the ISMF dialogs where the nominal
track size was specified.  If the value there was 47047 (or whatever the
correct value for 3380 is) then when one requested an SMS-managed
data set that specified a number of tracks or cylinders, the requested
space was allocated if a 3380 was used, but a different space was
allocated if a 3390 was used.

Changing this track for 3390 made the space "correct" for 3390 but
a larger number of tracks was allocated if a 3380 was used.

Or so the story goes...

Cheers,
Greg