From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of legolas wood
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:53 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: how much difference is between deploying a j2ee application
in Z/Os and in windows?

Thank you for your reply.
You both ease my mind in order to proceed with the task.
my job is to port a J2EE application from a another application server
and database to websphere and DB2, after that I will have some help from
trained Z/OS administrator to deploy the application to z/OS.
things that made me worry was about changes that could be seen in WAS
for windows and WAS for zOS.
But it looks that there would be almost no changes :-).

How ever, I think the clustering and load balancing will differ, wont
they?
What is usually administrator or developer uses as a load balancer in
front of clustered WAS?

Does DB2 work in the same manner, I mean db2 for windows and linux are
alike?
I know that some features that are available in windows and *nix based
version are not available in zOS. I will not use them.

Are there some dramatic changes in DB2 for zOS and windows based DB2? If

i develop the database and its Stored procedure in windows will it be
easy to deploy them in zOS?

Thanks.

Timothy Sipples wrote:
> I concur with Larry: deploying J2EE applications to WebSphere
Application
> Server for z/OS is the same as, say, WebSphere Application Server for
> Windows.  There are multiple ways to do it, but typically you'd use
the
> Web-based WebSphere Administrative console install wizard just as you
would
> on any other platform. The WebSphere Information Center has details:
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/index.jsp
>
> I'm trying to think of any exceptions, and the only ones I can think
of are
> very minor indeed. For example, you won't ever see a Windows-style
server
> drive letter (e.g. C:\MyServer\AppsOnMyServer\...) in the Web panels.
> think the Administrative console says "WebSphere Application Server
for
> z/OS" for the branding. Here and there you might see an extra field or
> option, to provide additional controls available for z/OS, but if you
don't
> know what they are just take the defaults. Administrative access
control
> will be validated with whatever WAS z/OS security system you're using,
> typically the z/OS Security Server (RACF), rather than a Windows
sign-on.

> You can also use the remote deployment feature in, for example,
Rational