From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kirk Wolf
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Open z architecture and Linux questions

The general discussion on IBM-MAIN of whether the z architecture is
"open"
or not leads me to wonder a bit about Linux on system z.
Perhaps those more experienced with Linux on system z can help me
understand
a couple of things.

AFAIK:
1) Linux for system z is still able to run on raw LPARs, without z/VM
2) IBM contributes kernel patches and tool chain code to support the z
instruction set, under the GPL

So:
Q1) Are any closed/proprietary instructions and hardware interfaces
used?  I
would guess that SIE would not be *executed* by Linux, but are others?
If
so, does contribution of code under the GPL that "links" to
closed/proprietary interfaces imply anything?

Q2) Might we expect that eventually Linux on system z will require z/VM,
so
that "platform enablement" (for the kernel and device drivers) can be
moved
into "closed" DIAG instructions so that IBM can further protect its IP?
Would that be accepted to the Linux kernel folks?

Kirk Wolf