The most common case where one might want to do this is when you have made a full-volume disk-to-disk copy, including volser, with the idea of then backing up the copy. But since DFDSS forces the copy off line because of the duplicate volser, DFDSS then can't dump the volume.

FDR will allow you to dump an off-line volume. While this is an "innovative" way to handle the above problem, it also strikes me as potentially dangerous. Normally the reason one has a device off-line to a system is to guarantee that the system is not using the device in any way (e.g., so one can do disruptive changes to the device, or to serialize use of a device by different systems).

DFDSS provides an alternative way of solving the disk-to-disk copy, tape dump scenario: by specifying the appropriate option (DUMPCONDITIONING, I believe), you can copy everything but the volser to the DASD target, but then be able to generate a tape dump of the target volume that will by default restore with the original volser (this used to require the original volume to at least have a VVDS or an IXVTOC in order to recover the original volser during the restore). Since the target DASD volume retains its unique volser, it is able to remain online. DFDSS or other utilities can easily do volume level access to the device at that point. Because the target device volser will not agree with the volser in MVS catalogs, normal dataset-level access to datasets on the target DASD volume will be constrained; but that's not an issue if the point is to create a volume-level dump on tape.
    JCE

Kenneth R Barkhau wrote:
Hello -
Anyone aware of being able to use DFDSS to COPY Volumes that are OFFLINE? I have looked but have not found anything yet to indicate that
support exists for doing that.

Thanks much in advance.
Ken

Kenneth R.  Barkhau

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        [EMAIL PROTECTED]