On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:18:33 -0500, Michael Schmutzok wrote:
--snip--
>The newly created sysres IPLs under the test system LPAR with no
>issues. I tried to IPL the same sysres under my production LPAR and it
>abended in IEAVNPDC with a S530 and put the system into a wait state
>(040). The message blinks off of the console almost immediately and
>there's nothing left to look at.
--snip--
>IEAVNPDC seems to be involved with WLM but the abend mentions GRS
>resource initialization. We're not using GRS for anything in either
>system (not knowingly, anyway).
>
>Any ideas on where to look for a smoking gun? Anybody ever have this happen
to them?

An ABEND S530 occurs when an asynchronous exit tries to DEQ something that
the (waiting) workunit has ENQed on, but has not yet been given control.

This is not a problem specific to GRS, but is detected by ENQ/DEQ services,
whether the request is STEP, SYSTEM, or SYSTEMS.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:34:29 +0000, John P Donnelly wrote:

>...turned out to be a mismatch in SYS1.PARMLIB(GRSRNLxx)...made these
>members the same on both LPARs and all was good...

Unlikely for this case, the system should detect the discrepancy and issue
waitstate 0A3 with the reason code indicating which RNL was out of synch.
If such a 'fix' solves the problem, there is an APARable error in the code.

Scott Fagen
Enterprise Systems Management