[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> IBM created the PDS a long time ago - giving us some conveniences that
> fit within its OS design.    Other computer companies either did not
> see this advantage or had OS structures that handled it other ways.
>
> Do we use PDSs now because that's what we have been using for decades?
> Or is it possible to still keep advantages of our OS and go in a
> different direction?

part of the original PDS design was trading off i/o resource vis-a-vis
real-storage resource ... at a time when real storage was extremely
constrained.  some number of other systems ... especially those that
came along later when real storage was a much less constrained resource
... made other kinds of implementation tradeoffs