On 12 Dec 2007 04:50:17 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Higgins) wrote:
There is a new Mainframe Assembler Coding Contest underway here:

http://z390.sourceforge.net/z390_Mainframe_Assemble_Coding_Contest.htm
 <snip>
Check out problem #6 submitted by John Erhman for which no solutions have been posted yet.

I don't have a working assembler or emulator at the moment, so I can't test this. Also, I'm not joining a Yahoo group just for this contest. But I think this is a solution to #6: "Given a byte, create 8 EBCDIC zero and one characters displaying the individual bits in the byte". I'd appreciate if someone would test it for me. (Of course, if run on an ASCII machine, it'll likely give ASCII zeros and ones.)

BINPRT   SUBENTRY
         MVC   BIT1,BYTE                PRIME OUTPUT AREA
         MVC   BIT2(7),BIT1             DITTO
         TR    BIT1,EIGHTS
         TR    BIT2,FOURS
         TR    BIT3,TWOS
         TR    BIT4,ONES
         TR    BIT5,EIGHTS
         TR    BIT6,FOURS
         TR    BIT7,TWOS
         TR    BIT8,ONES
         SUBEXIT
*
BYTE     DC    B'01111001'              INPUT VALUE
*
EIGHTS   DC    16C'0000000011111111'
FOURS    DC    32C'00001111'
TWOS     DC    32C'00110011'
ONES     DC    32C'01010101'
*
PRTBYTE  DS    0CL8
BIT1     DS    C
BIT2     DS    C
BIT3     DS    C
BIT4     DS    C
BIT5     DS    C
BIT6     DS    C
BIT7     DS    C
BIT8     DS    C
         END

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com