What is the process for checking commands entered when using $VS? I can protect the use of $VS using the JES2.$VS profile but there doesn't appear to be any granularity for which commands can be entered.

Let's say the following is found in JCL.

/*$VS,ROUTE node1,someCommand

JES2 checks the $VS profile and if allowed with let the command proceed. But, does MVS/RACF also check to see if you have authority to MVS.ROUTE.CMD?
Or is the check bypassed since you had auth to $VS?

Also, to protect the /*ROUTE XEQ node1 command, I need the WRITER class active with a profile of JES2.NJE.node1, correct?