On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:01:51 +0100, Lindy Mayfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>About this, I asked IBM.  Bottom line, can't be done according to
>published specs.  When you connect the dots, the docs do say that you
>cannot replace the IO routines and run TSO commands.  My bad for not
>reading it (even though I'd read through those docs looking for this for
>just over a year now.)

Well... the docs say that you cannot replace the IO routines if your REXX
environment is integrated into the TSO/E environment. What you *can* do is
to set up a non-integrated environment (which will by default have no "TSO"
command environment, i.e. Address TSO will fail), and then set up your own
TSO-like environment using the IKJTSOEV service.

Then you write a REXX command environment handler (call it LINDYTSO or
something, or even TSO if you want to be confusing; you can even make it the
default), ATTACH each TSO command passing it a CPPL that you have set up,
WAIT for it, and DETACH it. You have reinvented the TMP, sort of. IBM used
to document how to write your own TMP, but withdrew (made OCO) the
information needed in the 1980s. After all, why would any customer want to
write their own replacement for IBM's fine IKJEFT01?

Anyway - this works for most unauthorized commands, but to run APF auth
commands requires a certain gung-ho attitude that may not be appreciated by
all your colleagues sharing the same system.

Have fun...

Oh - a quite different approach to your fullscreen debugger would be to run
a genuine TMP in batch, with the input and output piped (yes, UNIX pipes) to
another address space where you issue commands, intercept output, and so on.

I've tried only the most basic version of this idea, so there are very
probably things that will make it impossible to implement properly.

Have even more fun...

Tony H.