Hello everyone...

We have been running for a week now after upgrading from z/OS 1.4 w/ CA TCPIP
to z/OS 1.7 running both IBM and CA stacks. Everything is going thru IBM
except for FTP and some telnet. About the only problem we have left is this
one:

Throughout the day and night when batch jobs run, the reports the jobs
produce are sent via TCPIP LPR (EPS) to a windows server running
HBOC/McKesson software called Laserarc. This is online report viewing
software. Things work fine for a while but sometime during the day or night
we stop being able to send reports to Laserarc. During the day not much is
sent - we might have a successful send at 09:00 and not try again until
15:00, which fails. When it fails after hours, none of the nightly reports
are available for users to view when they get to work.

The message our software puts out is:
T07OB058E OLPR1_J29562 unable to connect to remote host (48): Socket
T07OB058E+connection attempt timed out

A ping or tracert indicates everything is ok.
traceroute to xxx.yy.3.147 (xxx.yy.3.147), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  xxx.yy.3.147 (xxx.yy.3.147)  3 ms    1 ms    1 ms

CS V1R7: Pinging host xxx.yy.3.147
Ping #1 response took 0.003 seconds.

(NETSTAT shows)
EPS      0023794E xxx.yy.1.71..721       xxx.yy.3.147..515      SynSent

We continue to get timeouts until the server and/or server software is
restarted (not sure what gets restarted). We, the mainframe side, don't have
to do anything. When the server is restarted we start sending again.

The server people have contacted McKesson for Laserarc support but they
haven't got anywhere yet. We (MF people) are the ones who converted and
changed something and this problem started later in the night after
conversion.

Does anyone have any ideas of something we may not have set up right in TCPIP
or pointers of what to look for? We do a lot of networked printing and aren't
having this problem with anything else. Thanks for any help and sorry for the
length.

Robert Johnston
UAMS - Little Rock

privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.