C++ is a low-level language comparable to C, being only slightly higher-level than assembler or machine language. So, there is no technical reason why parts of an OS kernel (even the z/OS nucleus) could not be written in C++.

It is well-documented that when IBM transitioned the AS/400 from CISC (IMPI) to RISC (PowerPC) hardware, they re-wrote the IMPI HLIC and VLIC (Horizontal and Vertical Licensed Internal Code) in C++ for the PowerPC RISC, to create what is now called "SLIC" (System :Licensed Internal Code). See:

   http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/372/schmidt.html

It is possible that some parts of z/OS might now be written in C++, but I expect that the nucleus is fairly stable and so probably remains in PL/X or BAL.

> Ted MacNEIL wrote:
Now, does anybody know if C or C++ is used in the "kernal" of z/OS?

When I first took a C++ course, I was told that it should not be used to write
operating systems (too slow).
But, I would like to know if C is used in the 'kernal'.