On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:04:11 +0100, R.S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Ted MacNEIL wrote:
>>> Applications  want  3 datasets  A.B.**   to always be allocated on
different packs than 3 datasets  A.C.**

>> Why?
>> In an SMS environment, data management is supposed to be taken away from
applications.

>> As long as the data is responsive, protected, backed up, and meets
business needs, they should not be involved.
>> (Unless, of course, there are politics)
>
>There is a method in SMS to separate the datasets. However
>- it does work on CU basis, not on volume basis (which consistent with
>assumptions - to isolate failures)
>- it isn't convenient (my opinion, and other SMS admins I know)
>- it is rarely in use (see above).
>
>BTW: I fully support Ted's opinion about application role here.
>
>--
>Radoslaw Skorupka
>Lodz, Poland
>

>--
>BRE Bank SA
>ul. Senatorska 18
>00-950 Warszawa
>www.brebank.pl
>
>S±d Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy
>XII Wydzia³ Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru S±dowego,
>nr rejestru przedsiêbiorców KRS 0000025237
>NIP: 526-021-50-88
>Wed³ug stanu na dzieñ 01.01.2008 r. kapita³ zak³adowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 z³ote i zosta³ w ca³o¶ci wp³acony.

>send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

As Radoslaw noted, the 'dataset separation profile' can do this for
SMS-managed datasets but as also noted, it's CU-level, not well known, and
somewhat cumbersome to use. Our Allocation Control Center (ACC) product can
implement this sort of thing on the volume level via simple policy rules for
either SMS or non-SMS datasets.

Steve Pryor
Senior Software Developer
DTS Software, Inc.