Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> Yes, but the important distinction is that, in contrast
> to the CVT fields, neither TZ nor any other environmental
> setting needs to be changed semiannualy.

True. But I bet most z/OS mainframe folks are happy it still
works the way it does now. Why? Not everybody wants to or can
afford to change their time zone offset at the same time that
the civil clocks are changed. And, not every system is in a
location that observes Daylight Saving Time. Of course, there
could be yet another parameter that indicates whether or not
THIS system observes DST, and another parameter that indicates
the magnitude of the DST change (not all locations around the
world adjust the clock by exactly one hour for "Summer Time"
or whatever they call it). But, even if z/OS had all of this
additional automatically-effective parameterization available,
I bet that a significant plurality would not "take advantage"
of it, and instead elect to handle it manually, across an IPL,
just like they do now.

If OS/360 had done it right to begin with, and had the DST
parameters, calculations and corrections built in from the
very beginning, we would not have the problems we now have
because all subsystems and applications would have been able
to handle DST-instigated local clock discontinuities from
the very beginning; every programmer would have known that
time-sensitive programs had to be coded to do so. But, that
was not to be the history we now regret.

UNIX, coming along later, did it just a little bit better.

--
WB