On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:09:45 +0100, Thomas Berg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> ... REXX sees 2 equal numbers in the first case and 2 different
>> strings in the second case.
>
>No.  REXX sees 1 string in each case ("00E0 00E8" and "00F0 00F8").
>Try  x = 00E0 + 00E8  and  y = 00F0 + 00F8
>You will get an error in the latter case.

Ok.  I worded that very poorly.  Assuming that the exec is going to
parse its parm string into hex arguments, it had better take care to
handle those args as strings wherever they might be misconstrued
as numbers.

I know I have not done that since I never thought about scientific
notation.  I didn't know REXX supported it.

Pat O'Keefe