On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:18:23 -0500, Mark Zelden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Note that if you are using zFS that HFS=QUIESCE does not work with FDR.
>I had to add a zfsadm quiesce and unquiesce steps and change my copy
>step in my clone JCL to use "DSNENQ=NONE,ENQERR=NO" when I
>migrated my maintenance unix files to zFS.  This is because my
>maintenance unix files are always mounted at a service mount point.
>If you don't keep them mounted, this is not a consideration.
>
>I spoke to Innovation about this and they couldn't give me any time frame
>when FDR would be fixed / enhanced to do this.   There is a way to get it
>to work with EMC / snap, but it is much to convoluted for my taste.  Adding
>the zfsadm step was much simpler and easier to understand.

I've had a few off-list emails about this from folks who contacted Innovation
or quoted the FDR manual.  The fine manual says this:

Section 01.03    SUMMARY OF MODIFICATIONS FOR VERSION 5.4:
AUTOMATIC QUIESCE OF ZFS FILES
If HFS=QUIESCE is specified in FDR, FDRDSF or FDRABR steps, any zFS files
which are dumped will also be automatically quiesced during the backup or
copy, just as is currently done for HFS files.  However, this only works
for FDRINSTANT (where the main control statement is SNAP, FCOPY, PSPLIT,
or SPLIT).

The manual supports what I said about snap.   However my maintenance
sysres set is 2 3390-9 volumes.  One that I full volume copy (all the PDS
and PDSE data sets) and the other is unix files - formerly HFS now zFS.
I full volume disk to disk copy the primary volume.  But the second volume
I always used PGM=FDRCOPY with HFS=QUIESCE control statement.  It
is this process that doesn't work with zFS.  Innovation did show me how
I could do it with snap since we are licensed for FDR INSTANT, but I already
indicated that I didn't like that option.

BTW, with IBM DFSMSdss, it automatically quiesces both HFS and zFS with
a logical copy.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden