Tom,

I was also under the impression that new development on the mainframe was
few and far between.
But I ran a poll a while ago and the results was rather surprising. 28% of
responded that they are developing new applications in COBOL.
(Natural/adabas was 48%.) I was expecting a very low "new development"
count.

I'm planning on running the poll again in a few months to see if I can get a
wider audience.

(link http://www.cicsworld.com/node/198)

Regards
Ian
http://www.cicsworld.com/

On 4/8/08, Tom Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >(I believe this was a major factor in the demise of COBOL;
>
> I just cannot resist responding to this (sorry I am so late, I was out of
> the
> office for 2 weeks).
>
> I work on the IBM COBOL compiler, and if you could see the amount of
> interest,
> the number of compiler licenses, the sheer number of COBOL programmers on
> IBM
> Mainframes doing new work everyday in COBOL, you would never say such a
> thing.
>
> For example, we are being overwhelmed with requests to continue our
> improvements
> for XML support in COBOL, it has been the most quickly adopted new feature
> of COBOL
> in my quarter century as an IBM COBOL compiler developer.
>
> COBOL is more alive today than it was 10 years ago!  Demise indeed...
>
> Cheers,
> TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<

Ian
http://www.cicsworld.com