On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 09:01 -0500, Arthur Gutowski wrote:

> <rant>  Since SMP/E is required to do any z/OS installation and maintenance,
> and ServerPac Dialog is all but required, and CBPDO is relatively integrated
> into
> SMP/E... Is there any hope of IBM integrating the ServerPac application into
> SMP/E?  Is there any hope that ISV's will eventually figure out how to write
> their installation processes around ServerPac and not try to re-invent the
> wheel, failing miserably at that?  Since Candle is now IBM, those products
> are
> now ServerPac-capable, and I'm hoping there is little to no need of CICAT
> down the road.  But I don't think it takes an outright acquisition to
> converge
> tools - aren't many of these ISV's an IBM Development Partner? </rant>

Allow me to dissent.
All vendor install packaging (especially the "helpful" installers) are
misguided and below par. Most are significantly worse than that.
Serverpac is the best of a bad lot - take that as faint praise or a
backhanded compliment - whatever. It still has it own warts.
I really *DON'T* need every fool ISV shipping me a full set of SMP zones
I have to restore.
I am prepared to tolerate it for the BCP. Period.
For everything else, gimme the relfiles, package it properly, and let me
design my own environment.

Shane ...