From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:29 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: C++ Workable Mainframe Debuggers (and a Public z/OS HTTP
Server)

I agree with my IBM colleague. Please get those functional requirements
into IBM. "Unusable," how? [And which version(s)?] We'd like to know! If
you're unsure how to do that, please contact me offline.

We eat our own cooking here, it's worth mentioning. We have a number of
middleware products for z/OS (and many z/OS elements) written in C++, so
IBM developers use Debug Tool in-house. IBM itself probably does more C++
development on z/OS than anyone. We need good C++ debugging functionality
at least as much as you do.

Re: C++ support, I'm having difficulty finding any other debuggers that
support C++ on z/OS, much less in both 31-bit and 64-bit modes, much less
both graphically and traditionally, aside from the two IBM has (Debug
Tool/DTU&AF and dbx). Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken -- I hope
I'm wrong -- but I've been unsuccessful in my searches thus far.

I forgot to mention that there is an IBM Debug Tool "test drive" available,
at least for the classic user interface. [I posted details previously on
the test drive for the graphical workbench. But if you happen to have
Rational Developer for System z or WebSphere Developer Debugger for System
z, I believe we have the necessary Debug Tool TCP/IP port accessible on the
test drive system for you to connect.] Start here to sign up:

http://zserveros.dfw.ibm.com

This test drive system is also available for trying many application
development tools, DB2 tools, and IMS tools.  We have Debug Tool Utilities
& Advanced Functions Version 8.1 (the latest release) installed on the test
drive system along with a bunch of other products.  We try to keep this
system up-to-date with all the latest releases.

By the way, zserveros.dfw.ibm.com is an Internet-connected z/OS system
running the IBM HTTP Server for z/OS. Somebody was asking if there were any
z/OS HTTP servers directly connected to the Internet. There are; this is
one. You can verify its status here:

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://zserveros.dfw.ibm.com

It says "Last reboot: unknown" in the report. :-) It also says "OS/390,"
and yes, I've already written them to see if they can fix that. Apparently
their scanner cannot distinguish between OS/390 and z/OS.

If you need 3270 emulation (to access the test drive system), you can take
the Host On-Demand test drive ("Try Your Own Host") here:

http://websphere.dfw.ibm.com/whidemo/atdemo_hod_basics_live.html

Please do not depend on the HOD test drive for real production use of
course.

Hope all that helps.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]