<snip>
IDMS mechanism to serialize batch usage
 <snip>

Just thought that I'd give a final update to this issue in case it's of
any interest to other parties.
IDMS batch indeed serializes on a planned ENQ conflict. 'Enqueue
Promotion' notifies SRM and SRM boost the service of the holder (in this
case the IDMS batch job) for ERV (default: 500 CPU SU's). In our scenario,
the batch IDMS jobs were executing at a higher dispatching priority than
the rest of batch, even as high as the IDMS', even though these batch jobs
were in a discretionary Service Class. Since I had the default ERV, i.e.
no IEAOPTxx member, and we have a small processor, these batch job ate the
box. I did turn off ERV and the processing smoothed out, changing it to a
much smaller number made things less worse but not better.
Of course CA thinks that this is an IBM problem, IBM rightly (I think)
disagrees, and CA can not (or won't) change  the way IDMS serializes batch
work (it's worked for years, so why change!).

Jack Kelly
202-502-2390 (Office)