On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:28:25 -0400, John Eells wrote:

>Edward Jaffe wrote:
>
>> I created a file called 'MYUID.BASE' and used SYMBOLICRELATE to create
>> 'SYS1.ALIAS.OF.BASE'. In my environment, data sets starting with MYUID

I have experienced that to fail (to my dismay) because there's
no symbol in the symbolic alias.

>> are cataloged in a user catalog. Data sets starting with SYS1 are
>> cataloged in the master catalog. Try as I might, I could not figure out
>> how to get the system to see 'SYS1.ALIAS.OF.BASE' as an alias of
>> 'MYUID.BASE'. (Perhaps I overlooked something.)
>
>I think this is because you did not place the entry for
>SYS1.ALIAS.OF.BASE in the usercat, but I don't have a system to test
>that assumption on these days.  You might try:
>
>DEFINE -
>   ALIAS( -
>     NAME(SYS1.ALIAS.OF.BASE) -
>     RELATE(MYUID.BASE)) -
>   CATALOG('usercat.with.myuid.in.it').

Which is pretty useless because reference to SYS1.ALIAS.OF.BASE
in a DD statement or ALLOCATE will search the master catalog
and not find the alias.

An additional problem with aliases of any sort is that jobs
referencing data sets by aliases and encountering ENQ conflicts
on the RELATED name will fail with JCL errors rather than
waiting for the conflict to be resolved.

-- gil