John,

I believe that your statements would hold true if you were comparing an
IFL on the z9 against the p6.  As I understand it the p6 chip is a
1.8Ghz chip and the z9 IFL has a 1.2Ghz chip.  So if you move from an
AIX server using the p6 chip to LINUX on a z9 IFL you'd be losing some
power.  However, the IFL on the z10 has a 4.4Ghz chip in it.  Based on
that theoretically you could move about 2.4 full Power 595 servers to an
IFL on the z10.  At least you should be able to make the move at a 2 to
1 ratio.

Tom Kelman

> Tommy Tsui wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > As I heard from IBM, Bank of Tokyo just completed their big project
> > migrate a thousand of server to a z9 using IFL linux. They show me
the
> > migration powerpoint (seems quite successful) Anyone know about this
> task?
> > Any shop is doing the same thing? What's the upgrade path for
existing
> p595,
> > migrate to z9 using IFL or p6?....
> >
> > any comment will be appreciated
> >
> > Tommy
> >

> John Giltner wrote:
>
> I would assume you would move to the newly announced Power servers.
> There is a Power 595 which uses p6.  From what little I have read it
is
> just a renamed p595 that use the p6 chip instead of the p5.
>
> Depending on what you are doing, I don't know if converting your
> applications from AIX to Linux and running on IFL's would get you
> anything.
>
> Converting/migrating to Linux on IFL's is generally a benefit if you
> have a lot of servers doing next to nothing, or that are running on
> older and much less powerful platforms.
>
> At one time I believe IBM's recommendation was for every 15-20 Intel
> CPU's averaging 5% busy you need at least one IFL.  That was for a
z900
> or z990 though.  I don't know what it may be for a z9 or even a z10.
> do know that for software pricing a IFL is 100 value units for z990
and
> z9's and for a z10 they rate it at 120 value units.

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.