On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:15:05 -0500, Paul Gilmartin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Every well-designed language, application, programming system
should
>have a way to force an error.  IDCAMS has such; HLASM has MNOTE;
>zSeries has x'00'.  Rexx lacks such; I resort to dividing by zero
>or accessing an uninitialized variable to force an error.

Maybe I misunderstand what you would want REXX to do.

If you're talking about some way of invoking an On-condition block,
REXX obviously has it: you SIGNAL or CALL the block's label.

If you want to verify an exec's ability to handle an abend condition
if you haven't included an exception routine, uh, well, maybe you
should include the routine rather than determining how to pick
up the pieces after a failure.

If you want to determine which Error/Failure/Halt/Noalue/Syntax
conditions is raised by a particular miscoded statement you still have
to execute the miscoded statement (or reread the doc).

I think I've missed what you want.

Pat O'Keefe