that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick O'Keefe) writes:
> I thought the AS/400 grew out of the 8100, but I suppose it may
> have had mixed parentage.  (Or I may be remembering wrong.)

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#9 3277 terminals and emulators

the folklore is that after future system project was terminated
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

also this old post:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001f.html#33

some number retreated to rochester and did the s/38.

i've claimed that somewhat in parallel, the 801/risc project went on
... with an objective of going to the exact opposite extreme of future
system hardware complexity.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#801

somewhere along the line, a project was started to replace the large
variety of internal microprocessors with 801/risc. there was "fort knox"
and iliad chips. One of these "iliad" efforts was to replace all the
microprocessors in entry and mid-range 370s with (801/risc) iliad chips;
the 4381 (4341 followon) microprocessor originally started out to be a
iliad chip. iliad chip was also going to be used for the as/400
microprocessor (follow-on to the s/38). Both efforts were still born.
Custom cisc chips were eventually done for both the 4381 as well as for
the as/400.

8100 used a totally different chip, uc.5 ... significantly underpowered.

there is old email about the MIT Lisp machine project asking IBM for
801/risc chips for their machine ... and being offered 8100 instead;
old email reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#email790711
in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#3 Architectural support for programming
languages

as an aside ... at one point they sent my wife in to audit the 8100
effort and she recommended the whole thing be killed off.

much later there was the power/pc project (i.e. somerset, joint with
ibm, motorola, apple, et al) ... and as/400 finally did move off a cisc
processor to 801/risc (power/pc).