2008/5/2 Roger Bowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>  From: Hendrik Boom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>  I have a few unloaded partitioned data sets dating back to the 70's.  I'd
>>  like to extract some members from them (on a Linux system).  Are there any
>>  tools for this?  Is there any documentation about this file format?
>>
>>  -- hendrik
>  ----------end  of message------------
>
>  What format are these unloaded PDS files? If they are in iebcopy unloaded
>  xmit format, one way to do this would be to use the Hercules dasdload
>  utility to create a virtual DASD volume (awsckd format) and load your xmit
>  files onto it, and then use the dasdpdsu utility to extract members from the
>  datasets.
>  See http://www.hercules-390.org/hercload.html#PDS
>
>  However, I don't think xmit format existed in the 1970's,

XMIT came in with MVS SP1 and TSO/E, in the very early 1980s.

>  so maybe your PDS are unloaded in iehmove format?

IEBCOPY unload does not depend on XMIT; XMIT uses IEBCOPY as part of
packaging up PDSs into XMIT files. IEBCOPY unload came with SVS, in
the early 1970s, and was far easier to use than IEHMOVE for PDSs, so
it is quite likely that an unloaded PDS on tape from then would be in
IEBCOPY format. The quick way to tell is to look at the record format
on tape; if it's fixed with blksize=800, then it's IEHMOVE. If it's
VB, then it's IEBCOPY.

>  If this is the case you could install the
>  Turnkey system http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey/ which is a complete working
>  MVS 3.8 system for Linux and Windows containing everything you need to load
>  and process these files.

Indeed. Or of course if you have a modern z/OS system, but no drive on
which you can read the old tapes, then you can read the tapes using a
suitable Linux utility (dd), transfer the file to z/OS, write it out
to a tape, or a sequential file, and run the modern utility to
restore. With IEBCOPY, you may have trouble with the VB files. FTP
might be a way to maintain the RDWs and such in this case.

As for documentation, both formats are de facto documented in the
source code for the respective utilities, and to some extent in the
PLMs available at bitsavers and other places. Neither format is highly
complex, and there is no compression, so writing a program to do it on
your own is not extremely complex.

And finally, if you just want to get your data, and can physically
read the tapes, I'm sure there are many people who would be happy to
convert your data for you on a friendly basis.

Tony H.