If you are using a z/OS FTP client to PUT a file onto a z/OS FTP server:

Just use:
TYPE E
MODE B
PUT local_name [remote_name if different]

You will notice when you run the PUT command that the z/OS FTP client will
automatically generate a SITE command telling the remote FTP server what
DCB characteristics this file needs.  For example:

 EZA1460I Command:
type e
 EZA1701I >>> TYPE E
 200 Representation type is Ebcdic NonPrint
 EZA1460I Command:
mode b
 EZA1701I >>> MODE B
 200 Data transfer mode is Block
 EZA1460I Command:
put local_name remote_name
 EZA1701I >>> SITE VARrecfm LRECL=27994 RECFM=VB BLKSIZE=27998
 200 SITE command was accepted
 EZA1701I >>> PORT 192,168,nn,nnn,14,100
 200 Port request OK.
 EZA1701I >>> STOR remote_name
 125 Storing data set remote_name
 250 Transfer completed successfully.
 EZA1617I 211 bytes transferred in 0.010 seconds.  Transfer rate 21.10
Kbytes/sec.
 EZA1460I Command:

If you are using a z/OS FTP client to GET a file from a z/OS FTP server:

Use:
TYPE E
MODE B
LOCSITE all dcb information such as LRECL=nnn RECFM=VB BLKSIZE=27998
GET remote name [local_name if different]

The GET command does not generate an automatic LOCSITE command, so you
have to specify the correct DCB characteristics before issuing the GET
command, using LOCSITE.  Here's an example:

 EZA1460I Command:
mode b
 EZA1701I >>> MODE B
 200 Data transfer mode is Block
 EZA1460I Command:
type e
 EZA1701I >>> TYPE E
 200 Representation type is Ebcdic NonPrint
 EZA1460I Command:
locsite lrecl=27994 blksize=27998 recfm=vb
 EZA1460I Command:
get remote_name local_name
 EZA1701I >>> PORT 192,168,nn,nnn,13,127
 200 Port request OK.
 EZA1701I >>> RETR remote_name
 125 Sending data set remote_name
 250 Transfer completed successfully.
 EZA1617I 211 bytes transferred in 0.060 seconds.  Transfer rate 3.52
Kbytes/sec.

Bits and pieces of this are scattered throughout the z/OS IP User's Guide.
>From the Guide:

Table 12. Recommended methods for data transfer
Transfer between host types          TYPE         MODE
EBCDIC and EBCDIC -- binary data   EBCDIC         Block

and:

Sometimes the client requires DCB information before it opens a data set.
Among the situations where this is true are:

o  Reading and writing variable-length records while preserving the RDW

Brian