In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
05/13/2008
   at 12:15 PM, Tony Harminc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Over editing is often worse than under,

I'd be tempted to say always worse, not just often. Don't do validation
without first learning what isa valid. A related sin is insisting on a
fixed format without telling the end user what that format is, e.g., if
you don't acept punctuation then tell the user that *BEFORE* he keys in
the data.

>Disallowing valid characters in email addresses. I'd say the majority of
>sites won't allow a plus sign,

In my experience it's not a majority, but certainly far too many.

>Same goes for all-numeric domain names.

Those are invalid. From RFC 1035:

 <domain> ::= <subdomain> | " "

 <label> ::= <letter> [ [ <ldh-str> ] <let-dig> ]

Now, you might want to accept invalid names regardless, but rejecting them
is not in the same category as rejecting RFC complaint names.