On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:27:31 -0500, William H. Blair
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The System/360 Model 75 was not an UNcommon machine (as were
>the Models 91, 95, 85 and 195) but it was not exactly common.
>Only VERY large shops would feel the need for one. NASA had
>five which were used to support the Apollo moon program. And
>lots of universities had one or two. For businesses, a 360/40
>or 360/50 were "common." Big businesses might have a 360/65
>or two (instead of a 360/75, since it was almost as fast, but
>much cheaper).

<------------- Wonderful post snipped for brevity ------------------>

Thank you for that, William.  I was told that there were five model 75's in the
UK, and I worked on three of them.  Two were at IBM's Havant plant where
they made 165's and 168's, the other one was CDC Data Services (formerly
ITT Data Services) at Barnet.  IBM also had a model 50 and CDC had a 65
running some time sharing software. The IBM machines ran MFT-II as did the
CDC one when I joined, but we migrated to MVT so we could have TSO.
Operating System MTBF at Barnet was less than 24 hours, I think the IBM
machines were more reliable but then CDC was a Service Bureau and
developers did strange things.  CDC ran HASP-II but I think the IBM machines
used readers and writers. One of them had an old tape drive converted to
write on 8 inch floppy disks (a Dolphin drive after the Havant pub) which held
the microcode on the 168s.  One of the Havant 75's had to have all its logic
cards replaced, we Ops were told it was because of alminium migration, but
that may have been a CE windup.  I left CDC in 1975 and it was only about a
year before I was again using a one MIP machine when Monsanto replaced
their 145 with a 158-3. This  of course was TINY compared to the old 75s -
how did they fit all that power into such a small box? We hadn't heard of
Moore's Law then.

TGIF
Dave